There are a lot of really funny things about being a doctor. No, seriously, there are. One of the funniest is the way some patients mispronounce or misinterpret medical terms. I'm really not trying to be disrespectful or make fun, but come on, sometimes it's just plain funny. We have one patient, who, when her asthma acts up, calls to request an "al-booty-trol" refill (albuterol). Patients tell us about the "fireballs in my Eucharist" (fibroids in my uterus). There are more examples, but I'll stop.
The one mispronunciation/misinterpretation, though, that I actually prefer to the correct term is "Biblical cord." What a great term to describe something (pregnancy) that really is a miracle.
I had really never thought about the fact that the closing of these vessels must leave a small scar. My girls all have "innies," as do I, so I don't know that I'd ever paid attention to the inside of a belly button. Mr Jinjin, however, has an "outie," and I noticed the other day that he has 3 small marks in the inner aspect of his belly button. These must be the scars from the closing of his umbilical vessels soon after his birth.
This was sort of a revelation to me. Despite all my years of medical training, it had never once occurred to me that the closing of these vessels leaves a scar, and I just love this fact. Three marks that prove you were born, that are visible proof that you were once connected to another person. And especially for Charlie, who has no conscious memory of his birth mother and whose parents don't really have any specific knowledge of her to share with him, I sort of find poignancy in knowing he bears these marks of his connection to her.
(I'm also laughing now, imagining that everyone (like all 4 of you) who read this post will now go look at every belly button in your household to see if you can see these scars...)
Wow! That is so interesting. Kinda makes me want to dig around in my own belly button and check it out. Kidding! Seriously though, very cool post!
ReplyDeleteSo not only are you a doctor, but you're a mind reader as well... as I was instantly trying to picture Charlie and Claire's belly buttons wondering if I could 'see' the scars! LOL
ReplyDeleteBut then I remembered that Charlie doesn't have a belly button as that's where they did his first surgery. So he has a scar, just not the one I was 'looking' for :)
That's funny Rachel, because as I was writing the post, I kept thinking "well, this applies to everyone except babies with gastroschisis or omphalocele since they don't have a belly button"...
ReplyDeleteI had a friend growing up who had had a similar surgery to Charlie's when he was a baby. I remember thinking how cool it was that he didn't have a belly button. I also remember the exact moment when we learned about omphalocele and gastroschisis in medical school and I had this revelation like "oh, THAT is what Brent (my friend) had."
Great Post! Biblical Cord! Hilarious! But, yes, very poignant...it is also our connection to God the giver of Life..the Holy Trinity...three in one...three scars. Thank you for sharing this...very beautiful~
ReplyDeleteRevelation - never thought of my belly button, which is an innie, as a direct tie to my birth mother. You've given me something to think about. And I do remember my grandparents saying, "Biblical cord". Thanks for the reminiscent fact! :)
ReplyDelete