Saturday, February 19, 2011

Teratogenic Event

I recently wrote a textbook chapter on twins with my mentor, whose expertise is multiple gestation. In doing my research for the chapter, I came across the theory that identical twins are a "teratogenic event." "Teratogenesis" essentially means that something goes wrong during embryonic development. For instance, certain medications that cause birth defects are teratogenic. I had certainly heard and read of this theory before, and truthfully, as an obstetrician I believe there is some truth to it. I really do believe it is not a "normal" event. However, as a mother of identical twins, I just really consider it a miracle, teratogenic or not. Truly amazing that an embryo splits between days 1-12 after conception, and TWO (in theory) IDENTICAL beings come into existence. Crazy, right? The only animals that have identical twins are armadillos, who have identical quads and octuplets. Identical twins have much higher rates of birth defects, premature delivery, in-utero death, infant death -- you name it, identical twins are at higher risk. I personally have multiple additional obstetric risk factors for badness and we had multiple complications during our pregnancy with the twins.

For years after Rose & Lucy were born, premature and growth-restricted but ultimately healthy, I could not look at them without consciously thinking, "Damn, we are so lucky. I can't believe these little girls are here and doing FINE." In fact, I've only recently been able to look at them or think about them WITHOUT thinking consciously how grateful I am that they are here. I don't really want to stop thinking that every time I look at these sweeties. These kids are beautiful, sweet, smart, spunky, funny, adventurous souls. Just plain rockin' kids.





Roro, sweet girl














Lulu












This is what I got after asking Lulu NOT to "pose"
She just can't not pose.














Quintessential Rosie













Love these girlies!

1 comment: