Sunday, March 13, 2011

Bad Word Mommy

The other day, Lucy told me I was a Bad Word Mommy. She didn't say it in an accusatory tone. No, it was stated more as an obvious, undeniable fact. Like the sky is blue, grass is green, water is wet, and "you're a Bad Word Mommy."

Lucy is very smart, perhaps the smartest Unal, and yeah, she's right: I am a Bad Word Mommy.

At Rose, Lucy and Charlie's "school" (daycare sounds way better when you call it school), they have a concept of "Potty Words." If you say a "potty word," you have to go sit in the bathroom. Truthfully, I sort of think this is an odd, and very possibly inappropriate, method of teaching, but whatevs. Rose and Lucy seem to think it's fine and normal. Say a bad word, go and sit by yourself on the toilet. Once again: whatevs. I can only control and stress about so much. Otherwise it's a very fine school.

However, "potty words" aren't just what I would consider bad words (for my family, just shut up...I know what you're thinking -- my threshhold might, just MIGHT, be a bit warped). "Potty words" also include "butt," "dumb," "stupid," "loser"...you get the picture. As I told Lucy the other day, some people and things are just.plain.dumb. It's ok to state the truth.

Like, for instance, "you are a Bad Word Mommy."

No comments:

Post a Comment