Friday, October 29, 2010

Gute Reise

We just finished packing Sheref's luggage for Korea. And, yes, we are toasting our last night as a family of 5 with some bubbly...I always planned to toast our biological children's births with good wine, but the morphine, vomiting, magnesium and blood transfusions sort of put a damper on that. So thank you, Charlie, for the opportunity to be healthy, non-drugged and in good spirits for your arrival!! I am on call tomorrow, so I'll be gone as of 7am. My mom arrives around noon, shortly after which Sheref will leave to drive to Atlanta in preparation for his flight Sunday am to Seoul.













I packed the larger suitcase, which mainly contains baby items for Charlie, gifts for our adoption agency's facility for babies who do not have foster families (which is called the reception center -- "orphanage" is far too draconian for this facility that provides excellent nearly one-on-one care for the kiddos), and gifts for everyone in Korea associated with Charlie's care. Sheref packed the smaller suitcase, which is his clothing and personal items. His comment after trying to fit clothes for a week into the suitcase: "Wow, I am entirely too large. My clothes are huge." For those of you who do not know us in real life and may be wondering why I keep perseverating on how huge Sheref is, he is not really all that HUGE. He needs the "big and tall" stores only for the "tall" component. Still, his clothes are, indeed, HUGE.

My "assignments" for Sheref in Seoul -- very modest indeed. I've commissioned him to buy us and every one of our children a set of Korean wedding ducks (apparently a Korean tradition -- a pair of ducks to symbolize the marriage union, and I plan to give each of our children their set when they get married -- if they do not get married, then at some major life event. Ducks remind me of my maternal grandmother and I have several of her very nice, fancy ducks in our home, so double nice connotation there for me). Additionally, he is to look for Korean art. Beyond that, I've "commissioned" him to have fun, enjoy the food, soju and culture, and just in general have a great, fabulous trip.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you and the girls and of course Sheref! I hope his trip goes well, and I can't wait to see pictures of the whole family together - hint, hint! ;) Keep us posted how Sheref does in Korea! Tell him one KF mom says, "good luck!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! I'm so excited that your time has come... so crazy, isn't it?!

    I soooooo can't wait to see photos of his trip and your little Charlie! Update as soon as you can ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be praying for your hubby as he travels. I hope it's a great trip for him! I'm truly amazed at all the dads that travel alone! Can't wait to see pics of the whole family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOO HOO!!! Sheref will soon be on his way to Charlie to bring him home to you!!! I can't wait to see pics of him in Seoul and with Charlie and then pics of the whole fam! Oh, I am so excited for you! You know, I just said the other night, this is the BEST "pregnancy"... when it gets really stressful... I can have a nice drink or two!

    ReplyDelete