Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I'm not a vet, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night

Well, it was a Country Inn & Suites, but close enough. Our dog, Willie, was nearly 2 years old and still not, well, you know -- fixed. Now, he was never outside off his leash, so it was not like he was going to impregnate some expensive little show Lhasa Apso or anything. He was a good dog, but peed on EVERY.SINGLE.THING. he encountered during our walks. He also barked at EVERY.SINGLE.DOG. he saw during our walks. Really annoying. Embarassing too, when your 5lb wussy Yorkie goes ballistic barking and pulling on his leash, trying to attack your neighbor's gigantic Rottweiler.

So I thought, "I'm a surgeon. Certainly I can make a tiny incision, clamp, cut and ligate the spermatic cord and suture up the incision. How hard can it be?" I still think I could have done it. The issue of anesthesia, however, was the sticking point. Local anesthetic, no problem. Systemic sedation however, not so great. I have no idea how to dose sedation for a 5lb dog, or even what to give, and I'd feel awfully bad if I killed the family pet. I could just imagine my kids telling their friends about the time Mommy killed the dog...

So we almost had to PAY a real vet to neuter Willie (gasp). Enter Sheref's dad, who happens to be a REAL veterinarian. We happened to all be meeting in Tennessee at my sister's house for Christmas. Perfect time to perform a surgical castration. Right?

We dropped Willie off at their hotel on Thursday late afternoon. By early evening, the deed had been done.





This little guy...













...was now this little guy.






I just wonder what happened to the surgical specimen. Hope the maid didn't sift through the trash can...


3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! This is the funniest post EVER!!! Poor little Willie! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOSH - this is the funniest post for SO many reasons (oops - just saw that I basically said what April said - LOL).

    Anyway - I find it HYSTERICAL that you actually considered doing the surgery yourself. And I find even MORE awesome, that your FIL did it IN THE HOTEL ROOM.

    Freaking awesome. Hands down. Best thing I've read in a long time!

    ReplyDelete