Saturday, January 8, 2011

Weirdo Walk

When Ella was very small, I "invented"the tradition of adventure walks. It started with "Sky Walks" (walk through the neighborhood at night to look at stars). Then, when we moved to Illinois, the "Snow Walk" came about. When it rains, we do a "Rain Walk." You get the picture. Essentially we go for a walk, and I make up a name so the walk sounds like more than it is.

Lately we have been doing "Weirdo Walks." A Weirdo Walk is when you wear whatever you want, bring along whatever you want, and go for a walk through the neighborhood, all while hoping fervently that you don't see anyone you know professionally (that last part? only I do that...).

Today was Charlie's first Weirdo Walk. He and I wore normal clothes. I "wore" him in the baby carrier, which is why he is not in any of these pictures. It is quite difficult to take photographs while wearing a 23 pound 1 year old on your chest. Just fyi, in case you were wondering. Ella also chose to wear normal clothes, but she did bring along a motorized stuffed guinea pig. Rose wore a Sleeping Beauty dress and brought along her doll dressed as Cinderella. Lucy wore a Belle dress and Wizard of Oz ruby slippers. Oh, and also fairy wings.






About to leave the homestead. At this point, I'm looking around, making sure no one I know is around...



























Yup, feathery fairy wings spruce up any outfit.












Wait up, guys!



































Willie looks thrilled, doesn't he?














This is a path coming up on "Fairy Land," which is what we call a cute little park area a few blocks from where we live. There is a nice wooden deck with Adirondack chairs overlooking a pretty pond that is home to 2 alligators. We go there a lot in the summer to "visit" the alligators. I think alligators do some version of hibernation during the winter, so we haven't seen them in a while. We still look for them, however...



































Ella and her sweet doggie.














Rose, looking ticked off


















Softening a little...

















And back to sweetie Rosie












Lulu mad at me for what she perceives as us leaving her behind (which, of course, we did not!)













Mom, stop taking my picture!











And back to silly Lulu





































There's no place like home, there's no place like home...











3 comments:

  1. :) Always love your posts R! Your girls are simply beautiful.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute and fun tradition! Totally off topic, but I'm wondering what carrier you're using for a year old. I should prob pose that question on the forum. It looks like mine will be 13 months when we pick her up, looking at the time frame :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sosopie -- it is a Baby Hawk Oh Snap. Quite expensive, but a very good carrier. I can't remember exactly what the weight limit is, but it is ridiculously high (like 40lbs) so perfect for >1yo. Other carriers that I know people like for 1 yr olds are Ergo and Beco.

    ReplyDelete