Tuesday, November 30, 2010

If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...it just might be a wedding duck.

This is going to sound weird, but one of the nicest associations I have of my grandmother "Dabby," my mother's mother, is of ducks. Dabby was a beautiful, very elegant, sweet and interesting woman. She liked ducks, and had several gorgeous china ducks in her beautiful house. When she died, the only material object I really cared about getting was a set of gorgeous red glass ducks she always kept on her wooden secretary. I did get those ducks, and, although I am not generally into fancy "stuff," I love those ducks because they remind me of her.

When I heard that our son's birth country has a tradition called "wedding ducks," well, I knew we were going to need to bring some home from Korea. Sheref bought a beautiful set of wedding ducks for us, and one for each of the children. I may be explaining the tradition wrong, but as I understand it, couples are given wedding ducks when they marry. Apparently if you are feeling amorous, you are supposed to turn the wedding ducks to face each other as a sign to the spouse of your intent. If you are miffed at your spouse, you turn them away from each other. I may have the tradition all wrong, but it's at the very least a fairly entertaining version. So (and please do not read any romantic intents into the positioning of the ducks below:) here are some of our newly acquired wedding ducks:





This set is actually my personal favorite. The male is the one with the decorative colors.
















































Ok, so clearly not ducks, but these are a set of male and female statues to ward off evil spirits. Or something like that. To me they look like they belong on Easter Island, but whatever. We still think they're cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment