Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Jin-yeong Flies to America...and does it with a minimum of parental torture

From the moment we decided to adopt from South Korea, we dreamed about our future baby, fantasized longingly of the day when we would be able to travel half-way across the world and bring our long-awaited, destined-to-be-ours child home to us. One thing, however, we anticipated with dread. That one thing would be a twelve to fourteen hour flight with a baby who had just met us one day prior.

When we decided that Sheref would travel alone to South Korea, I was disappointed. I mourned the missed chance to see my child's birth country, thank his foster family in person, soak up his native culture. Secretly, though, I did a little happy dance that I would be spared that awful flight.

So imagine our delight when the flight just wasn't that bad. Yes, fine, I wasn't there, so easy for me to say, but I am paraphrasing Sheref: it just wasn't that bad. We are figuring out that the Unal boys are laid-back. The Unal girls, yeah, not so much (except for me, 'cause I'm super laid-back...haha). Jin-yeong slept for EIGHT hours of that flight. And he never cried.




Jin-yeong in the bulk-head bassinet on the plane.










Doing what he did so well on the flight...(and is not doing so well now at night)















Sheref said he was sitting by a sweet older lady from China, who spoke only Mandarin. On the other side of him was a Korean-American woman flying alone with her 15 month old daughter. Apparently the daughter, not surprisingly, was fussy and fidgity on the flight. At one point when the 15 month old was throwing a fit, and Charlie was lying quietly in his little bassinet, the Chinese lady turned to Sheref, motioned towards the 15 month old, and shook her head disapprovingly. She then motioned towards Charlie, turned to Sheref, and gave him a big thumbs up. Cracks me up!

1 comment:

  1. Love this post! I would have loved to have seen the little Chinese lady in action! and Charlie! :) He is absolutely adorable. Hope the nights get better sooner than later...! :)

    ReplyDelete